Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I'm late, I'm late...

Promises, promises. But Saturday was all about family and fun for a change. I dragged my sister and her husband to both of my current shows--the "big" show in Union, with lotsa paintings by 18 artists, and the "fancy" show at The Greenbrier resort--one or two paintings from the same group, our "Monroe Fine Artists." The opening at the big show was a huge success. Great food, great crowds, good work. But why did it remind me so much of a wake (I've only been to one)? People who know each other kinda congratulating each other for showing up, doing their networking thing, loving the opportunity to drink some wine, eat some tasty morsels, exchange news and gossip. The art (like the dead guy) is nice and all, but how much can you say about it?

The event at The Greenbrier had a little more authenticity, maybe because the people who came through did it only for the art. They were strangers both to the artists and each other. The art was the focus, and it was appreciated. That show had maybe 40 paintings, easier to process than the 120 works in Union. (We are lucky to have a terrific curator in Joan Menard, who selected and hung both shows. Ay, the work!)

I want to say that the talent in this group of painters, sculptors, etc. is impressive. Yes, the subject matter is often colloquial, but the range of styles and quality of technique is amazing for a rural county of this size. It is a treat to see the burgeoning of an arts community--both artists and appreciators--where there was only a void.

No comments:

Post a Comment